Every three years, the Librarian of the Congress revisits the exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). These exemptions list the cases when circumventing technological measures that protect copyright works is not illegal. On October 28, 2015, the Librarian has issued the new list valid for three years. The new exemptions (compared to six years ago) are:
- The jailbreaking of cellphones to be used on other carrier networks has been extended to tablets, wearable devices, and connected TVs.
- Jailbreaking portable devices to execute lawfully acquired software
- Owners can circumvent diagnosis and repair software for cars and farm equipment
- For research purpose on consumer devices, medical devices, and cars
- For sourcing ink for 3D printers from alternative suppliers
The previous exemptions are still valid.