Diageo and Thin Films have recently demonstrated a smart bottle. The seal of the bottle contains a NFC tag. This tag not only carries unique identity of the bottle, but it detects also whether the seal was opened or is still closed. This smart tag allows interesting features:
- As for traditional RFID tags, it enables the follow up of the bottle along the delivery chain.
- As it uses NFC, the seal allows a mobile phone app to identify the bottle, and thus create a personalized experience (interesting features for privacy: it is possible to track who purchased the bottle (at the point of sale with the credit card) and see who actually drinks it (was it a gift?))
- As it detects if the seal has been broken, it is a way to detect tampering of the bottle during the distribution chain. This may thwart some forms of piracy and counterfeiting.
- The tag is also a way to authenticate the origin of the product. It may have interesting application for expensive rare bottles to verify counterfeiting.
- It does not yet tell if you drank too much. This will be the next application associated to the smart glass that will detect what you drink and how much